haefeli ll. 1-190
Max Ernst Haefeli, 1926
Chair with closed back, sealed seat and back, legs, seat frame and armrest solid bentwood
W41, D49, H83, SH46
Architect, furniture designer and leading exponent of the 'New Objectivity' or 'New Building' movement in Zurich. Studied at the architecture faculty at ETH Zurich. After working with Otto Bartning in Berlin (1923/24) and at this father Max Haefeli's architectural studio, he opened his own office in Zurich (1926). Designed modular furniture for ag möbelfabrik horgenglarus. From 1928, he collaborated closely with its director Ernst Kadler-Vögeli. 1927, he became head of the "Kollektivgruppe Schweizer Architekten", which furnished apartments in the block designed by Mies van der Rohe at the Weissenhof Estate in Stuttgart. 1937–1975, partnership with Werner Max Moser and Rudolf Steiger.